Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Why I don't write poetry (often)

Two forms of writing I stay away from like the plague.
Romance and Poetry.
Romance for obvious reasons I am sure. I am married and everything but I am not very good with the emotional gushy details it takes to write a romance story. I haven't met a guy that really is though. Believe me if I was a hack and I could write it, I would give myself a womans name and fire these off like Danielle Steele does in the local grocery store. I wonder if Danielle Steele is actually a guy named Dan or Dave or something. You never really know.
Poetry is another story. I have written something that kind-of-sort-of resembles poetry. I never learned poetry though other than taking a whole 2 weeks worth of English classes for us to study it. Haikus, sonnets, and all that...bleah. I can't do those without having to fake it. Some people can naturally write with a certain mode or pattern, I can't. The only patterns I have is bad grammar, I use my Midwest ain'ts and yeahs, and I do a lot of ...'s (Because I hate commas.)
So when I do Janus-Poetry (that is writing that is not in short story or novel form) it isn't really poetry. It isn't prose. It is...well...rambling with even less structure. I also have to be in a certain state of mind too that is really depressed, really happy, really restless, or really drunk. That is a lot of reallys.
Janus Poetry sometimes has a rhyme bit to it, until I get stuck then I stop doing that. It also doesn't have even spaces let me give you an example.
The cat in the hat gave me a Plasma Television
It was a nice TV with Tivo and all that sort of thing, I had it sent up for surround sound and this sentence is too long so I will have to make a revision,

See...it doesn't rhyme or it doesn't have any sort of pattern.
the only pattern is that it is really bad.
And that is why I will not put poetry up here or ever ever ever write romance.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Janus - Hmmm, now that's just an excuse for not posting it. ;p

Anything well written comes from the heart. Even when there are typos and the like. Now look at me (I don't want to brag but...) I haven't studied for any English courses or hold a degree in the arts, but I look down deep and find a feeling.

Finding the feeling that gives you the spark that lights a good story, or poem is the key. Find that spark, and you'll find you can write much better than you think you can.

Peace,

- Neo

6:21 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

yes but what an lovely excuse it was!

Perhaps I will post something eventually, I am not good at putting all my deep and feeling thing online yet.

I get embarrassed

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still waiting for that love letter... I guess wedding vows were better...
--Bella

11:49 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

for once I am without a comment...(guilty look)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I've actually won A's n awards for poetry n got published in a Book from a college contest.
I don't blog it tho, unless it naturally occurs in my free-flow writing.
Sometimes I use them for song lyrics also. I write greeting cards with it too.

Words are words-
Poems have a flow
just go with it...

4:19 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Thats great Snag, Poetry is something I just never got the hang of. I have tried to force it a bit at times, but it rarely comes natural.

Thanks for visiting.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters