Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Sheltered Janus is a Happy Janus

If you read my blog long enough (which the surgeon general would probably not recommend), you will notice some things about my blog. Maybe you will notice some things that are not on my blog would be more accurate.
I am mentioning one of them today so that I can explain why I don't really write about them.
I don't often talk about things on the news here. I do it intentionally and have done that for so long sometimes I forget I am even doing it anymore.
Truth is I don't really even watch or read the news if I can help it. Some would say that is intentional ignorance, some would say that I am a bad a citizen for not reading up on issues, and some would say that is a good idea and consider doing the same thing.
I used to read the paper every day believe it or not about 15 years ago, and I used to watch the news every night before going to bed. I also used to have high blood pressure, an ulcer at the age of 15, used to think I knew everything about subjects I didn't understand personally, and slept even less than I do now.
When I was about 18 years old and I went to see my doctor he gave me a stress test and I bombed it miserably. He told me that if I didn't manage my stress a little better, it would probably take it's toll on me in a few more years. I didn't want to take drugs to calm myself so I looked at what I could do to reduce my stress. He made a few suggestions.
One of the things I stopped doing is reading the paper (except the comics) and stop watching the news on television, since hearing about the latest crisis that will kill us all tends to cause anxiety. (Well duh!) I also started spending more time outdoors, and writing more to decompress my brain.
Well its about 12 years later and I haven't had a stroke or heart attack yet, so it is helping. It also has given me a much better attitude in general, and I am less likely to offer my unqualified opinion on subjects anymore. I still have unqualified opinions...I just feel less arrogant and certain about them and inclined to share them I hope.
So I could tell you more of what bugs me about the news, but I am out of time this morning, and its not worth being late to work over.
Besides I figure my health is a good enough reason anyway.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Janus - I hear ya about watching the news. It is like every day you're bombarded with more and more bad news.

And our local paper here in Philly?

The daily snooze.... er news is written for a 7th grader. I spot about 10 typos every time I read it; which is very rare.

I feel less stressed for it too. But I do catch up with news on the net.

Peace,

- Neo

7:13 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Ignorance is bliss sometimes isn't it.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters