Friday, November 02, 2007

That's one way to get the clothes really dry.

Well, I had an interesting trick or treat. My dryer caught on fire. Not that "oh look birthday candles I am going to make a wish" fire but a "call 911" fire.
So much for being at home.
I want to be the first to tell you that smoke detectors are very important. Putting batterys in them are important too. We did this and it probably saved me from inhaling more smoke. Smoke alarms are annoying and really make it hard to cook a crappy pizza in the oven or sneak a cigarette, but they can save your life and your house.
Homeowners insurance is also a great thing and made this disaster a bit bearable.
Once again I am not at home, but thanks to my insurance I am in a hotel. It has internet access but I don't have a laptop and my telepathic powers are a bit rusty. So again I am on vacation against my will. All things considered though everything is ok.
My wife is safe, my pets are safe, I am safe and most of the house is pretty damn safe.
The fire was kind enough to start in a room that we did not remodel. Insurance is having our place cleaned out from smoke and soot. The washer, dryer, floor, sink and anything else damaged by the fire is replaced or fixed good as new. So I am hanging out in the hotel when I am not working or running errands and grateful to be alive.
For those that would be worried, yes I did go to the doctor. I have an enhaler and antibiotics and will be just fine.
So bad news is I am stuck away from home again, I can't read all your blogs...281 and counting from last week or check my email, and I don't think I will want to smoke anytime soon, I just got 20 years worth of smoking a few nights ago in about 7 minutes.

So just hold on out there, I will be back soon I hope.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger a fractal cat said...

Now you are just Attention-seeking... You go away from home to attract interst then you return and set fire to the place! What sort of way is this to behave?
On a serious note.. I hope all the attendant paperwork that goes with Insurance & replacing of the essential items goes well and I gives thanks that you and yours are all safe. The latter being the really important thing.
I am still here to haunt you, I am still reading...
Stay well. Thoughts and (such as they are) prayers are with you.
AFC

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.

That's exactly what you don't want to do to a newly remodeled house - set it on fire.

Dryers are iffy things and I know a few people who have had fires in them. One thing to remember - fabric softener and dryer sheets are highly flammable.

Since it happened in the only room that wasn't remodeled, do you think the house was trying to tell you something? Maybe this was the laundry room's sneaky way of getting a face lift.

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear about the fire Janus. What bad timing, just after you moved back in.

The most important thing is that you, Bella, and pets are okay. The house can be repaired, but YOU need to stay safe.

Make the most of that hotel - order room service, watch all the films they show on TV, etc. Lol.

I hope you will be completely better soon. My thoughts are with you.

Take care of yourself.

Frodo

6:43 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Neo starts the music

FIRE!!!! ;)

J/K

Hope it works out and you're back home soon. All material things aside, the fact that you and your girl and pets are safe is the important thing.

The rest can be replaced.

Peace,

- Neo

11:16 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

The roof the roof the roof is on fiiiire. Sorry having my post high school days reminder.

We're all ok, though I am a bit unable to talk too long on here.

Off for lunch, be back soon.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

That reminds me-
One time I was on a camping trip with a few friends n kids. There was a little, propane burner hot-plate on the picnic table heating up food.
While I was entertaining the waiting troops with my guitar, singing an America tune, the table caught on fire from the burner, just as I was singing, "You're the one who can put out the fire, - Hey! put out the fire! Put OUT THE FIRE!"
It took a few seconds to register to the adults there was a fire...

10:39 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Hope you at least got to cook some marshmallows from that.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters