Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Janus Salutes the Net Menders of the World

Well I was supposed to get my resume done last night but I kept losing my power and I eventually lost my "Saved" document which meant that I wasted alot of time and ultimately did not get what I needed to done. I hope anyone else that was dealing with one of those freaky storms last night fared better.
Last night while I was getting ready to lay down and fall asleep I read something in my scripture readings that I have looked at probably at least a dozen times but finally something just sort of clicked for me.
I will use Janus paraphrasology to tell you this, but if you want the exact words just to follow along just turn to the last half of Matt chapter 4.
At this point Jesus is gathering up some disciples and he talks to four of the "to be Disciples" who are fishermen. Jesus is just kind of walking around in the area and inviting people to follow him. Peter and his brother Andrew are out in the sea taking the boat around and fishing. Jesus says come and join me, so they did.
Then he sees James and John and their father (I guess that would be Zebedee, since these two guys are called sons of Zebedee in their boat mending their nets and he invites them to join too so they leave their nets and apparently their dad and business and follow Jesus.
Now here is the part that I skipped over that kind of dawned on me last evening. They were mending their nets.
Not too exciting sounding is it? I admit it seems so common and boring that when I read that verse I always just kind of skipped it over and didn't give it a second thought. At first glance (or even the four hundred and first glance) it just seems like some extra insignificant details or what a writer would call "filler."
Alot of us want to do something and we want to do things that we think are significant. Many a young boy (or girl for that matter) wants to be a Major League baseball player when they are kids or maybe a big movie star. When is the last time you heard a small kid dream about being a groundskeeper for a stadium or key video assist operator for a movie studio? I can't think of a single one.
So what is the big deal about net mending? The fact that if it wasn't done after a while that the nets would fall apart and fishing wouldn't be possible. If you had broken nets it doesn't matter how good you are at fishing because even if you found the biggest and stupidest fish in the world, it does you no good whatsover if the just swim through the big hole in the net.
Maybe you have a supportive role and are not the "star" of the show. Perhaps you feel that you are insignifcant sometimes and that you and your "deadend" job doesn't make a difference. Perhaps you feel invisible and that what you do doesn't really matter to anyone.
I know I have my days were I look at others doing bigger and better things around me and I feel like the leftover dinner that gets put away and forgotten about until I get thrown out.
Well we do matter! If it wasn't for groundskeepers at Wrigley Field we wouldn't be able to see the team play because the outfield would be covered in seven feet tall grass. Not too many things in the world could be accomplished if we only had room for "Stars" and "Leaders." Nothing would be done if we did not have a few people that fixed the nets so that fishing can be possible.
Some people won't notice the things you do, some people only notice themselves. Sometimes you might feel like no one notices or cares about what you do. Well I can assure you that someone does notice, not a single thing you do to fulfill your role escapes the attention of God. It doesn't matter if you are a president or a cashier working 3rd shift at a 7-11, he knows what you do, he cares about what you do, and he is proud of you and what you do even if the rest of the world doesn't understand it or even notice it.
So here is a challenge for all of you for sometime this week. Let someone know that they what they do for you matters. Tell that person that mends your net, cleans your office, makes your lunch, or does something for you all the time- That what they do is good and you appreciate it. Even if you pay them to do it, tell them anyway. When they know that they are noticed and appreciated itwill make their week better.
It won't just make them feel good, it will make you feel good.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a good tip for employers too. Too often work becomes drudgery, but if someone appreciates your drudge work, you will do it with more zeal and a better attitude and it might even become fun.

Life is hectic and crazy and we often see only our goals and destinations, not realizing that the people along the way contribute to our journey and we ought to thank them for it.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone does their part, no matter how big or how small. People 'behind the scenes' are just as important as those in the spotlight.

But we all need a little encouragement and appreciation at times.

Frodo :)

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to all us "net menders" out there! Hip hip hooray!
-The netmender formerly known as Sheed

1:54 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Ned- Exactly, usually the only feedback many people get is when they do something wrong.

Thank ya Lorinda, Frodo, and Sheed for dropping by

2:36 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

. o O (If seven feet of grass was to grow at Wrigley Field, I might take up an interest in baseball)

I know -- shoot me for being one of those communist mafia hippie dudes.

Say, I remember listening to a tape long ago where this man advised you to go out and wait by the curb for the garbage man to show up.

Then he said to profusely thank the gentleman for his worthwhile services (at the same time, watching the surprised expression that would appear on his face).

He then promised that after that, your garbage cans would never be tossed aside carelessly, but rather, would all be set upright with the utmost of care.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

It's confirmed: I am an aging geek. When you said "net menders", I thought you were gonna tell us about the fellers who got you back online...

But hey, I recovered and went with the flow! Great point, Janus - always good to be reminded that Someone appreciates what we do, be it ever so humble.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Harry, it's amazing what a good word can do. That and a nice Christmas tip.

Gone, That kind of net mending is good too. Though when I go on my messenger to look for old friends I normally just get spammed by people that want my credit information...stinkin yahoo.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters