Friday, November 10, 2006

E-body language

Today I got caught waving and nodding to my computer. I didn't even think of it, but then Bella walks in and goes "Janus did you just salute your computer." I could not think of anything else except.
"You weren't supposed to see that."
I apparently am not the only person do pointless things like this. Have you ever seen anyone nod at the driveup speaker at Mcdonalds?
"Do you want to try our Big Mac special today?"
"No...No...No Thank you," (Man shakes head and has timid smile at speaker.)
"Would you like a drink with that?"
"Uh...der..Yep," (Man nods head with fervor.)
Now I suppose all of us could be worse, I can truthfully admit to not kissing the screen when someone sends me a Valentines Day email. I don't tend to argue back when I get a stupid email....etc.
So, I have no idea where I am going with this, but thats ok because this is not really helpful content anyway.
Don't argue with your bills when they come online, don't talk to your computer screens, and try not to use body language when talk on the telephone. It's pointless and it makes you look like an idiot if anyone else is watching. Plus you can't explain it.
It reminds me of when they first started having the bluetooth handsfree things and James was talking on his phone while we walking downtown for our meeting, and I thought he had lost his mind. I watched him talk to himself for 10 minutes while gesturing with his hands in the air.
"Do you normally talk to your alien mothership like that in public?" I asked after he said goodbye, and started talking to me again.
"It's my phone.." he said turning to the side and showing me the ear piece.
"Do they hear you talking with your hands too, mate?"
He just shrugged. "You know I am Italian, boss."
Well there ya have it.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend always says 'Thankyou' to the automatic doors that open as you approach them. :)

Frodo

5:46 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

That is very very polite...but again..rather pointless ain't it :)

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always talk to my computer screen - and elevator doors, and drivers of other cars and pedestrians and I mumble at sales clerks and shake my fist at the sky...

I have this thing about vocalization.

2:39 PM  
Blogger a fractal cat said...

I talk. Mostly to EVERYTHING!
I find a good way of cussin' the PC is to hiss between clenched-teeth, "Bill Gates!!!!" at the offending machine.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I talk to myself, and to the computer screen (especially when I'm chatting with someone). Nath always asks me why can't I just type without talking out loud.
Last week I was in a store and right next to the sweets was a camera and a notice saying, 'you are being watched.' So I leaned up to the camera and yelled really loudly, 'you shouldnt be selling sweets you are ruining the teeth of a nation.
So far I havent had a reply but I notice the camera has gone.
Emma

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work in a shop, and the cash till was rather tempremental. It was a running joke that if we spoke nicely to that till, then it worked properly, and if we were nasty to the till, then it didn't work.

As if a till could tell if you spoke nicely or not!!!

Frodo :)

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know... this is where I come when I am looking for Travel Airfare.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Inanimate object conversationalists unite! It's comforting to know that I have enough of us to start a support group. Thanks everyone for coming by.

Afraid I can't help people get airfare though, I have my brother do that....

Sheesh why is it when I check my messages every 5 hours I never get a bot spam, but if I am in bed for a day I get 4 of them.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters