Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving Thanks

Well it is officially Thanksgiving day where I am , so Happy Thanksgiving.
This year I am going to the house of Bella's aunt for my feast and family time. My parents and my brother are down at St. Bart's this year, enjoying the nice tropical climate. Man that makes me a little jealous, but just because I love the warm climate. My sister and her family is going to Iowa for some exciting event with crafts and stuff...which I am not jealous of admittedly. (Though maybe one of you might be possibly.)
So what do you think of when you think of Thanksgiving?
I think of pie. Lots and lots of pie. Mashed potatoes and gravy by the truckload, and normally being so tired that I can't move by about 15 minutes after dinner. I remember my Grandma making this green jello salad that I would not eat to save my life, but that she made every year. I remember having to sit at the kiddy table, and being mad because I wasn't grown up and could sit with the adults, and now wishing I was still young enough to be considered the "kid" somedays.
Even though it is a stretch this year I want to remember the meaning of Thanksgiving (no, not football.) Normally I take for granted the loving company and the meal. My Grandma is long gone for almost 6 years now, my own family is scattered to all corners of the world, and Bella's mother passed away in July and the table will seem emptier without her. I don't say this to be depressing, it makes me realize that how special it is to see loved ones and have a meal with them.
It's not just a day, my family doesn't even have Thanksgiving on Thursdays. We normally have ours on a random Sunday sometime in the fall/winter these days. It's about the company and the meal and spending time for each other and realizing what you have and taking a day to enjoy it and think about it.
I am very grateful to have Bella, and my pets and to be adopted into another family this year and invited to share a meal with them. That I live in a place with Supermarkets and Jewel Grocery store pies that I do not have to make. That I have made it another year. If you celebrate Thanksgiving every day since you were a toddler you tend to forget about the special meaning, you just think of it as an ordinary holiday.
Don't just eat the meal, savor it. Don't just show up at your family's house, celebrate the day. Why do people get up at some ungodly hour in the morning to start cooking dinner and make the kitchen a madhouse while they prepare for this day. It's an act of love, and it brings people together.
Bella's sister Lynn is coming down to eat dinner with us, we don't see her that often so it is always a special treat. I know that Bella misses her sister alot, and I miss her too. It will be good to have her down here.
I have a brother named Ed, that lives 20 minutes away from me, and why do I only visit him on major holidays I ask myself. Why don't I make those phonecalls more often and just say "Let's grab lunch today." My dad is cancer free for almost two years now, and I am thankful to have spent another year being with him.
My friend Rob is having his parents visit him from over the Atlantic, and has three out of four of the kids home this Thanksgiving. I would imagine that his house is bursting with activity today.
One of the church campuses is having Thanksgiving for people that have no place to go for Thanksgiving. Imagine those wonderful people giving of their time and sharing this day with others who need to be shared with and have something to be thankful for.
So whenever you have your Thanksgiving, whether it's tomorrow or some odd Sunday. Enjoy it, savor it, and see you soon.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to celebrate these times with people you love, and who love you. Enjoy your Thanksgiving Day, Janus.

Frodo :)

3:49 PM  
Blogger a fractal cat said...

Being British, we don't have Thanksgiving and only really know of it via Hollywood. Our family stuff is done at Christmas.

Family is important. Tho; 'Family', can be found in unlikely places...

I hope you have a good one. Steady on the pie tho'.

afc

3:59 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Well thank you both for coming by.

And I didn't eat too much pie, just too much turkey...it made me want to go to bed about 10 minutes after dinner.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters