Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Saying goodbye to an old friend. (Again)

I had something I was working on for today but I have breaking news that I have to write. I might get back to you with the second part tonight.

Sunny my father in law's pooch is dying, her condition is too painful so we are preparing to put her to sleep and end her pain. I have known Sunny since I have known Bella's parents, and we have a special bond. She likes to sit on my lap and snarls at anyone that dares try to remove her. My sister in law Lynn calls her "my girlfriend."

Tonight is my possible last chance to say goodbye to her since I am working doubles the next few days (and Saturday morning.) So I am heading off to see my girlfriend before it gets too late now that the estimates are done for the night.

I tend to bond and love animals more than my siblings and that is a blessing and a curse. I don't let go of loss very well, and I probably should learn to bond with giant sea turtles since they out live me. I am dragging my feet a little out the door, I don't know if I will be in much shape for anything by the time I get back.

When I was a kid my dad would never want to get a dog and I always thought it was because he was grumpy and mean. Only in the last few years did I hear about Barney the Golden Retriever that was his best friend from the age of 6 until just before he married my mom. He was so lost by the dog dying that he never really bonded the same with a dog ever again. Part of me thinks he wanted to spare me from that loss.

When I was about 13, I had a stray mutt that I had taken care of for just over a year. He broke out of the yard and ran out in front of car. The neighbor slammed on her brakes but the dog got hurt beyond a vets care. My dad brought the dog to the back and knew that he was suffering and beyond help. I was inside the house when he told me to stay with my mom and he went to his closet.

a few minutes later I heard the report of a rifle. my mom and I cried and held each other. Dad always knew when to let go and not to prolong suffering. He buried the dog before he came in a while later, I saw the wetness in his eyes as he came in and put the rifle away. He then gave me are reassuring pat on my shoulder and went into his room and closed the door. In the quiet house I heard my dad crying for the dog and for us.

Hearing about Sunny brings these old feelings back. When we love our pets we love them deeply, and it hurts so bad to let go.

If you never say hello...you won't have to say goodbye.

Too late for me though, I have to go now and say goodbye to my friend. Take care bloggers.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to comment on something so personal and emotional. I guess the only thing is, we've all gone through it with a pet, and when a loved pet is gone, it leaves a huge wound that takes a long time to heal over.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

And if you never say hello, you never have any joy...

8:14 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Andrea I hear ya. Thanks for coming by.

True X-ray, just trying that denial thing...it never works. :P

9:54 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

That sea-turtle reference was great!
I felt like my childhood dog was my best bond, too. Then moved on to cats who lived very long lives, like 20 years,n all got painfully ill.
Now one of my two sister cats is ill, n may not make it to 8 years in October- rats!

Best friends are best friends, no matter what species!

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters