Monday, July 23, 2007

Drastic surgery

I know I am a few weeks behind, but this is based on a the things I wish Jesus never said topic that has been put on hold a little in Janusland.
Over a year ago and on another blog that has gone the way of the dodo I was talking about my Dad's cancer (remission and counting for over 3 years, thank God.) So when I talk about this uncomfortable theme today I don't want anyone to think that I am using poetic license to make my point more vivid.
Here is a tough verse to swallow. Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
I really don't like that verse, I have probably skipped that one to a more heartwarming part at least a dozen times. Does he literally expect us to do that? Manny asked me that once and I told him that you would have a lot of blind amputees walking around if that was what we were supposed to literally do.
This is an example of extreme language, and removal of body parts are about as extreme as we can get. We are not to literally do it (I can hear some sighs of relief out there), but if anything were to keep you from a relationship with God, let it go rather than let it hold you back. "I can't believe in God because then I might have to give up my beer bong partying and maybe make a few other changes." That may seem like a bad example, but here is mine from a few years ago.
"I can't truly believe in God and I am afraid to get closer to him because then I might have to give up my desire for revenge and anger towards people." Now looking back I realize that this sounded like a stupid reason, but at the time it made more sense. I actually avoided reading the Bible because I was afraid I would find out more things I am not allowed to do. Does keeping the anger really make me more alive? Not really. Does it help me? No. Why do I want to hold on to it? Because it is a part of me.
Going back to the cancer reference. My dad did not just wake up one morning and Shazam! he had dangerous cancer. Years ago it started out with a little heartburn, which he didn't really take notice of and just took extra tums. Then he couldn't swallow food so well, so he started avoiding harder foods and thought about seeing the doctor..A few years later he was in the ICU of a hospital and they weren't sure if he would survive.
Cancer of the esophagus was the official problem, and it nearly killed him. In fact the local doctors said it couldn't be cured and told my mom to make arrangements. My mom wouldn't give up and found a doctor that would help her. He lost half of his esophagus during the surgery when they cut out the cancer. Did he want to have them remove part of his digestive track? No. It was the only way to keep him from dying though, so that is what they did.
Sin is like a cancer. It starts out minor but eventually it gets stronger and stronger until it becomes a part of you that will destroy you. No one starts out in life generally planning to be the most corrupt and evil person they can, it starts with a little heartburn. It goes to scar tissues and sores, and eventually it hardens into cancer. If you don't do something about it eventually your minor problem will end up killing you.
Get rid of what holds you back, because it doesn't just slow you down, it eventually will stop you. I don't want anyone to do some civil war era surgery on themselves after reading this so I will make it clear. It isn't the body part that is causing the problem, it is choices and the things internally that are causing it. If something is holding you, ask God to help you remove it, and work on it when is just a little itch or a little heartburn.
Dad is still doing well but we have to constantly wonder if it will come back. Sometimes you will have to remove it several times, but you will be glad you did. I am not instantly a better person, I still get angry and mean spirited from time to time. It gets a little easier each day I take the treatment though. My surgery in the heart saved my life too.
Do you need to see a doctor?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Janus - Well said friend. I think they'd have to get a whole wing at the hospital to do the type of surgery to rid me of my sins. LOL

Peace,

- Neo

6:53 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

lol, I can understand that one, I'm there too.

someday I will have to do the "grace" writeup :)that will make it easier.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters