Friday, July 20, 2007

Empathy and Focus and Downtown Madness

I had a good day today but found out my good friend Karl is going through a rough patch with his life. I have felt down since. I am not sure if it is healthy to get depressed about other people being depressed.
I was smiling and talking at work as usual, but I felt fake and detached. I couldn't really think about where I was but more about how I couldn't fix Karl's problems.
They say God loves us but also grieves when we grieve.
Being so many of us, he must be quite miserable at times.
I am still feeling a bit down about things, but I did get a little better after I drove through downtown. Which took me a half hour longer than normal.
I saw people dressed in costume waiting for Harry Potter's book and I suddenly realized that I could be worse.
Not to offend anyone of course, but I have never actually gotten to the point where I dress up a book character and wait 5 hours for them to start selling a book. I can wait about 5 months when they have about 1,000,000 copies for sale and no line.
Lord Voldemort the Dark Lord jaywalked in front of me and almost got sent to the deathly hollows by my Buick. Honestly I like the books too, but I am not willing to die to get them before everyone else.
At least this is the last book and the insanity is almost over. That is unless she decides to write "Harry Potter and the Jr. College of Certain Death" and work it another 4 books. Millions of dollars per book I certainly would consider it. Call me a hack but I wouldn't mind being her agent.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope things get better for Karl. I'm sorry you are feeling down as well.

About the Harry Potter books. Just wait intil she writes the extended deluxe versions, with extra scenes and new locations (George Lucus style) etc. Lol

Take care of yourself, and I hope you feel better soon.

Frodo :)

2:30 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Frodo thank you, I am sure we are both going to feel better soon. Send me those good thoughts though ok.

Oooh George Lucas style...special collectors edition DVDs where she will change it every few years...

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sending you TONS of good thoughts and wishes. :)

Buy your Harry Potter Limited Edition Collector dvds now - and see them the way she intended you to see them, until she writes the next version. lol

Frodo :)

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The long-awaited and much-anticipated final book is out with its smash surprise ending. The speculation was intense and wide-ranging... does Harry die? Does he become the supreme wizard of all? Will he launch a hostile takeover of Wal-Mart?

In the end, she provides a blockbuster ending: Harry grows up, gets married, has kids, gets old, blah blah blah. She manages to toss in a open-ended twist that makes way for several more series, including one for each of his offspring.

Guess all that proves is that this is the only thing she knows how to write.

Of course, I might just be bitter and whinging because she's rich and famous and published and I'm not... nah!, it really is tripe.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Thanks Frodo, and I will try not to think of special edition dvds about Potter for a way.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Ned I hear you, I actually have read the books and I liked them for the most part (The giggling girl and romance stuff gets a bit annoying when I want people to start blasting each other) but I am torn between despising Ms. Rowling and liking her work enough to read it.

I haven't met her though so I try not to think of it.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't bring myself to read the books due to publishing-envy.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

like the book, despise the author? Love the sinner, hate the sin? I dunno something on those lines.

anyway, I am not a fan of hers really either, I do like the book, but I see where your going with that one.

At least she actually writes something compared to some authors though. I think Danielle Steele slipped a grocery shopping list into a book and they published it.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Janus - Have never read the books, saw the movies and generally have no interest in her stuff.

But she must have done something right. I'd kill to have people lined up for 5 hours to read my stuff. AND get paid big time for it!

She's richer than the Queen of England eh?

Peace,

- Neo

6:55 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

She is either richer or second only to the queen...I lost track.


rich enough?

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters