Sunday, June 24, 2007

Janus trys to lose it.

Well, I am not playing it safe really, but the poem is taking me too long, and I have a book report due this week as well. The poem will be moved to the back burner for another time until I can find words that sound like orange and frontal lobotomy. I wrote a personal narrative instead.
Ok, maybe I am playing safe, I just really can't write poetry without being drunk or depressed. I don't feel like getting drunk or making myself depressed for my art. It's all your fault for letting me get in a good mood for a week straight. Yeah, I blame all of you or something.
This weekend we started the "Things I wish Jesus never said" series at the church. This series makes me a bit nervous, because I wish Jesus said more stuff like "Janus you need to eat more chocolate cake and get a new computer." I have read the Bible quite a bit though, and I'm pretty sure that is not in there. He talks more about giving to the poor and forgiving people.
This week they talked about "Losing our life to find it" which has nothing to do with bungee jumping or anything crazy like that. No one said it was easy, and most people would think it is insane. It is about getting rid of what is worthless and holds you back, and pursuing the better and inevitably more important things, even if it means having to give things up.
Almost a year ago, I was a speaker at a memorial service for the woman that would be my mother in law. I am not much of a speaker, but I did spend hours with her every week for the last year of her life, so I spoke at the service. At the end of her life she told me a lot about her regrets and things that didn't seem so important anymore. She made peace with friends and family that she had been cold to for years for things that no one remembered. She forgave and forgot many things. She spent her last week in particular enjoying the time with her family and burying and forgetting the things that held her back.
That's what losing life is all about really, since no one ever says on their deathbed "you know I wish I watched more Law and Order marathons and worked a few more hours a day."
Its not easy to give up the things that hold you back, but if you do, you wonder how you ever lived with all that weight on your shoulders. Fear, lack of trust, and lack of faith makes you cling to the useless and petty things because you feel naked without them. Playing it safe is not playing at all.
God knows this and tells you to let go. Believe me, I know it is easier said than done.
I heard a story of a burning house, and a young boy was hanging on a ledge. He couldn't see the mat that would catch him, or the people below because of the smoke.
"Let go, we will catch you!" His Dad shouted.
"I can't see you Daddy!" He cried out.
"I know, but I can see you- let go," His Dad called back. With that he finally let go and was rescued.
What is holding you back? Don't be afraid to let go of it, because God who can see everything that you can't is there to catch you. You just have to let him.
Or as the song says "Live every day like you're dying."


P.S. if you wondered about the title of Janet's Blog over on the side, this is where the name comes from. Click on her link, you know you want to.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the book report AND the poetry. :)

Frodo

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There once was a man named Janus
When he talked sounded much like an anus
With a wink and a smile
Comment once and a while
and he won't think his writing is heinous.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Janus - Wow, that part about the fire is deep. Very thought provoking.

Peace,

- Neo

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janus can be found on the net.
Now that is a pretty safe bet.
But when he's not there,
He's down in his lair.
Or flying around in his jet.


Frodo :)

9:33 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Love the poems, especially the one from anonymous a good 1,1,2,2,1.
Even if you wink and smile though I am usually sure my writing is heinous.

Neo, glad you liked it. Wish I wrote the fire story, I read it a while back but couldn't tell you where.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to think of Janus in his "lair" thanks Frodo! Too bad he don't have a jet!
--Bella

12:18 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

I slept pretty good in the lair yesterday. I wouldn't want the Janus-Jet though no place to park it since I don't have a big cave or my own airport. I want the JanusCopter not so fast but I can park in a big empty parking lot as long as I can see it.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters