Monday, August 13, 2007

Thats one way to try something new.

I am trying to learn the video power point to help with the song and message cues at church, and I think I'm getting it down (It's just pushing the space bar pretty much once we set it up.) I get a bit more nervous with this despite being in the back of the room which is my preferred place to sit. (Janus doesn't like having people behind me, that paranoia thing.)
I am a little nervous (ok a lot nervous) of messing up something in a large way and ruining it for everyone. Click the space bar at the wrong time, and make a mistake and have about 10 guys run up and throw me out of the building and suspend me for 4 services and maybe a fine. Well I totally made that up, but it makes me nervous that I will make a public mistake and I won't have anyone around to blame it on. It wasn't me that accidentally shut off the video feed, it was the one armed man! Then everyone will say, everything was good except that guy working the video.
Have you ever wanted to do the shadow puppet thing like in Ace Ventura 2? Don't worry, I won't do that. Still it crosses your mind once in a while.
So yesterday I went in to work the video again, and I found out that I was going to help run the sound board instead. If you think the video makes me a little nervous with just a little space bar, the sound board looks like the firing mechanism of a submarine to my technophobic self. Beyond the sliders and the mute button it has a bunch of knobs that I have no idea what they do. Eric asked the man in charge of the sound board to teach me everything he could in the next 30 minutes because I was going to run it solo.
My eyes bulged and mouth hit my kneecaps.
"Just kidding Janus."
Thanks for the heart attack Eric.
When I went to do the video the first time I looked at the sound board and said, "At least I don't have to do that."
Next time I will shut up.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger a fractal cat said...

In a former life I was left in charge of 'effects', whilst other members of the Church put on a play (a short interpretation of Philemon).
I had to cue pictures via a slide show and also add in the music where needed. - I remember we used Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water.
I perspired a lot during the performance. Looking at the action 'onstage' and trying in despair to read crib notes is not easy.
Toward the end a kindly Elder of the Church tapped my shoulder and whispered - You might like to turn off the spotlight as your light regulator is on fire!

Needless to say I never ever voluntered for the important position again! I left it to those that KNOW about these things.

The attending audience had much patience and the Fire Service guys were Very helpful...

I awoke in a cold sweat for a few nights after but no Permanent damage was done. In fact people were very kind.

afc

7:24 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

hmm now I will be a little nervous but will remember to bring the fire extinguisher with me.

I was in the front row once at a play where the stage caught on fire, I thought it was part of the show until the stage crew sprayed out the flames from the trapdoor that Jacob Marleys ghost came from.

Still was a great show.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can't yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre, I imagine they are against you setting one. But we all know where Jacob Marley was for sure now, hehe.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Janus - The knobs control the tremble and bass and panning; depending on the sound board you're using. Once it's set right before (after doing a sound check) it's just a matter of keeping the main volume levels at a good spot. Keep in mind some people talk to loud or too soft, you have to feel through it. Trust me it isn't as scary as you think and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Good luck.

Peace,

- Neo

6:42 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

PS -NOTE: Sometimes people turn the switch on the mic off. So if you think somethings wrong check with the microphones first (if they are wireless DOUBLE check the batteries before hand. :)

6:43 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Andrea the fire wasn't too bad though, which is why I thought it was part of the show. Hmmm Scrooges hardwood floors are on fire...

Neo, thanks for the tips :) Everyone just tells me to focus on the microphones.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters