Sunday, August 20, 2006

De-caf Janus

Since Tuesday I have been doing something I vowed I would never do.
I am drinking Caffeine free Coke.
I feel like a horrible sell out, not since I decided to take up blogging almost a year ago have I felt such a guilt. I was willing to try it, a sign of losing my Cola Ethics. I thought, what would the harm be, I will try it and I will go back to regular Coke.
A voice in my head said "Janus you sell out!"
Hey, at least it's not Diet Coke, I thought to myself to ease my betrayal.
Coke Classic and I have been walking together since I was old enough to stop formula. My loving parents would put the Coke in a sippy cup and I would down it like it was the water of life. My dentist was torn between giving me a lecture and planning to make enough from my fillings and cleanings that he could get his Cabin in Wisconsin.
Over the years things got even worse as I started drinking a 24 pack of Coke Classic a day. People wonder how I can function on 4 hours of sleep, and can never sleep at night. I have no idea, but I might be able to take a guess. Even after my dad showing me how I could take rust off of railroad ties by putting them in Coke did not deter me.
I got an ulcer at 14, that did deter me.
For a long period I had to drink Iced tea because the acid in the Coke was still too strong. Luckily for me they made something called Prilosec. Now I can drink lots of acidic soda, now I can eat pizza after 10:00, and now I can quit drinking really bad tea.
So now I drink Caffeine Free Coke, and I found out I like it. My headache is getting less and less severe. I still can have coffee if I need to wake up, but now I can actually sleep. Which is good because I might get a new morning job and I would prefer to not feel like a wacked out addict. Now I have to drink coffee in the morning to wake up because I tend to fall asle.........Z Z Z.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Janus who sleeps? I am still reeling with shock.

I sometimes buy the suitcase of Wal-Mart soda - we call it "Bobo-soda". If you get it really ice cold and drink it fast - well, it still tastes like Bobo-soda but it's dirt cheap.

The last three letters of my word verification are "bmw" - does that mean I win one?

2:36 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Is this a trick to get me to quit soda all together? Taking rust off nails no longer looks bad compared to the fish flavored Light Cola and "Bobo Soda"

We call Bobo Soda that evil Sam's Shit. Someone brought it to my BBQ one time and was chased out of town by an angry mob.

As for BMWs...let me know if you win one. I want to get rid of my piece of Sam's Cola

9:53 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

You are a brave, brave man, Jayness (Janus).

Those are the exact six words someone whispered to Fidel, way back in '59. Man, I hope you don't go grow a beard next and start wearing funny hats. Wait, I just described me.

Say, what's in MY coffee?

I actually went cold turkey and stopped drinking caff-fiend coffee for a spell. Yeah, I got a wild PC bug up the bum that lasted for quite a while (really, just until we went thru one can of experimental decaf).

This is healthy stuff, they said of it, so we tried some. I could tell no difference. It smelled like real coffee. It all tasted the same. I had no headaches or other withdrawal symptoms throughout the days, nor did I have any less trouble sleeping or go madder than usual. Big deal. Go back and get real, I grunted to my cave mate.

Then after slurping down the first cup of 100% Colombian, I rediscovered what caffeine is all about: uncontrollable and constant bug-eyed wall-climbing. But afterwards I felt able to keep up with all the little cave rats we had.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

I already have the beard...but no funny hats yet. I don't normally wear hats. My head doesn't like them.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, you forced me into it - I am going to be the lone voice crying in the wilderness..."Caffeine...Caffeine"

The truth is that decaf is very bad for you, in earlier days because they processed it with methylene and nowadays because it is associated with raised cholesterol levels and heart disease risk. Caffeine, aside from a short term rise in blood pressure, has not been shown to have long term hazardous effects on the cardiovascular system.

Caffeine lowers your risk of Parkinson's Disease, Type II Diabetes and colon cancer. Coffee prevents cavities.

In case you need independent confirmation of all I say, see these links:


>BBC NEWS


WEB MED

Java Jive

What else can I say? I came, I saw, I made coffee.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

I still have my Half Caf coffee in the morning to make me bright eyed and bushy tailed (whatever the crap that means.)

I only drink the Caffeine free Coke after 8pm so I can sleep before 7 am. hmmm I like the coffee statistics, are they the same for the cola I wonder. Because I might be better off with water (Well I knew that already) rather than drink the caff free cokes.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

I've been meaning to ask you about that tail...

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters