Friday, August 18, 2006

What IS in a name?

Today is a shorty, since I went to bed instead of staying up to write a big article. So today I am going to answer from my mail bag and from a few people I know in person one of the more frequent questions I get from my blog.


1. Q: Why do you call yourself Janice? What is the story behind your name?

A: I have used this name in a few chatrooms, on this blog, and a few other select places. I have had a few people call me Janice. As in "Auntie Janice makes really good sugar cookies." It is actually said (Jay Ness) and I am named after a Roman God that has two faces and represents doorways or transition. I see myself in my name a bit, though I am hardly a Roman God (or anyone's idea of a god), I have a public and private face and I am currently working at going into a transition and maybe even getting rid of my extra face.
No my name is not really Jay, and I do not have any relatives in the Department of the Treasury. I just wanted to teach people how to pronounce my alias because nothing irritates me more after a while than being called "Ms. Janice" by people that think I am a sweet little lady in a chatroom. I can't blame anyone really because Janus is not as common as say "Zeus" or "Ares." So you heard it from me first. (I have recieved 5 in-person, 2 messenger requests, and an email about this, so I guess it really is a Frequently asked question.)

Part 2, What is the story behind your last name Torrell?

No actually it's not, my last name is actually taken from a friend that I used to hangout with in the college days. I was staying late and having a few drinks after hours with a few of my friend's that worked in the same bar, and the district manager dropped by unexpectedly. He asked who I was and what I was doing there. At that point one of the servers came out and I had to think fast.
I pointed at her and said "I am waiting for my sister to get off work, since she is giving me a ride home because I have had too much to drink." That apparently worked, and from then on they called me "Allen Torrell." I have been using it for a bogus name since, if I need one in a hurry.

So for those of you wondering how to say the whole name it is (Jay-ness Tore-El.)

Thanks for the responses. Now stop it for the love of God, I answered it already.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Janus Torrell said...

If I didn't grow up speaking English Mr. Toilet...er Raf I never would of learned it. We like to borrow from other people's languages and throw out all the rules of grammar.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

If it's any consolation, I did know about the Roman god Janus all along. ;)

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters