Friday, September 01, 2006

Janus sheds some light about being in the dark

This isn't a philosophical entry. I really couldn't think of a better title.
Today the power went out for about 8 hours at my place. Does that clear up the title a little better. See I told you I wasn't going to write about anything too deep today.
When will you guys learn to trust me.
So the power went out right before I went to work for a couple hours today, and I came back and it was still out. So after confering on it, I called the power company to let them know my power was out and they said that they would have it up by 8:15 or so and that help was on the way. Apparently about 180 people didn't have power at that moment, and I wondered if someone in my power grid tried to run the toaster, garbage disposal and microwave at the same time like I did last time I blew out the circuit breaker.
When the power is out you suddenly realize how much crap you take for granted. You can't work the microwave to make some soup, you can't see anything in the kitchen, the fridge is not working so you can't just open and close it and munch on snacks. Can't write in my blog (oh drat) and can't read everyone elses Blog (double drat), can't play games, can't research Garfield, and can't watch tv, and the cordless phone is out of order.
Now its not all bad, you can't vacuum either, or a bunch of other things you hate doing that require light. So you find the best source of sunlight that you can or you get a little candle and you can read a book.
You know, those paper things. Before the computer made me a Desk Squash (computericus addictus) which is a close relation to the Couch Potato (Posterioricus Enlargicus) but different habitat. I used to be a great reader, and I had more books than the Great Library of Alexandria (which you would know about if you read a book, they also didn't have books back then really so I can get away with such a lie.)
So today I read until I lost my light, then I took my dog Sammy for walks over the place til I got tired of walking and even she was getting bored. (which is a miracle for a Jack Russell Terrier.) I then went back to the house and had to turn on a flash light.
Bad idea.
Jack Russell Terriers love flashlights, and Sammy is not exception. She runs after the beam of light and barks at it until I can turn it back off. This makes power outages even more annoying since Sammy thinks that I am playing a game everytime I am trying to get a drink of water without breaking my toes on the chair. Sammy is not entirely stupid either, and knows that the flashlight is what makes the er..shinies. So if I don't hold the flashlight high in the air she will try to eat it. Heavy Mag light+Jack Russell= Broken teeth.
Now I am not afraid of the dark really, but I still don't like it. Mainly because of work reasons. When you write the occasional ghost story or horror fiction, you automatically start thinking about your next project when your power is out.
Hmm wouldn't it be scary if something was on the other side of that door? Yep it sure would. Before you know it you have to remind yourself that you really are not going to see anything when you open doors. Self-induced stupidity. Besides if it was a glowing transparent figure my dog would eat it anyway.
The Amityville Horror 5, Sammy the dog eats the ghost. Bet they didn't see that coming.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should get 2 torches, and turn them both on. Double the fun for Sammy, with 2 beams of light to eat!!!

Frodo

11:39 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

Hilarous story. I swear, trouble is so much fun.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Frodo my neighbors would have me dragged out and shot if I did that. She barks and Yelps really loud while she does that.

and yes Harry, trouble is great especially when no one has to vacuum

3:17 AM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

We hang suspended by an electric cord over an abyss...

5:55 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Power outage I can deal with as long as my books and some daylight.

If my running water goes out though, hell shall be dealt.

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters