Friday, September 15, 2006

Oh brother....

Sometimes it's harder to want to say something simple than it is to tell a really long boring post because you don't know how to start out a post. (I kid you not this post has been started at least 6 times with me doing one of those frustrated sighs and deleting the post.)
It is very simple though, so I will just belt it out now.
If you can't tell I am enjoying going back to church, something that I thought I would never say either written for everyone to see or hear even in private. I have believed in God since I was very little and if not loved him all the time at least had a casual sort of business relationship with him.
Church and I though have not always gotten along. I didn't have a problem with God for the most part, though I did have a problem with churches. Mainly, because of the people that went to most of them.
Now I could go into a whole big story, but its 4 am and I am already spending way too much time trying to explain this. So I will wrap it up.
I am a bit overwhelmed and happy to be going to a church where I can actually see people doing what they say and loving people the way that the good book says. I don't know how to explain it any other way.
I have seen people here take a real interest in others and where they focus on your heart and soul and not your appearance and how much money you can donate. I am biased by this point I must admit, but I am actually at a place where the worst thing I can say about CCC is that I have trouble parking somedays because the place is too packed.
Now for the point. I ran into a fellow attender today, and I said a few words to him as he was working on something and said a bit of small talk to him. I didn't expect him to say more than "Hello back" at me and the customary "How are you" that people say and don't wait for an answer.
I was surprised that even though he had alot of stuff to do (he was working on things when I walked by), and he seemed ready to go out the door that he actually started talking to me. I must of had a very strange look on my face, but I was surprised. I am still surprised almost 12 hours later.
To some of you that may not seem so weird, but where I come from that is a rare and wonderful thing. I have been to many places where people don't know who you are and could really care less. I not only got talked to today but it was a real conversation I heard, not one of those "I will say a few nice things and then make my way to the door" ones.
When he finished speaking he said goodbye and called me "brother."
I used to cringe or roll my eyes when people called me brother, since at one church I used to attend they called you that all the time but never meant it. When I was called "brother" today, for the first time I didn't feel uncomfortable or want to make a face.
I actually was happy to be called brother by someone and he meant it.
I said goodbye and thank you...and I can honestly say I meant it too.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

Great post.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

thanks :)

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to see you enjoying church. And it sounds like a very good one.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Thank you and thank you. Yes I am very happy here, never thought I would say that about really anything.

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters