Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Why

Happy Muesday.

Last night I went to work, and the boss (Telly's daughter) had to talk to me, so while Telly was devouring (ok slowly chewing on) his tv dinner I went over to the side of the apartment for our talk.
"You can sit down," she said pointing to the chair, and I saw the paper brochure that she held in her hand that said "Homehealth Care Solutions." My throat felt hard, I was wondering if I was going to be laid off.
"Dad and I and really my whole family like you and appreciate what you are doing for us," she said, and I kept waiting for the hammer to fall. "Dad is doing better than we ever thought he would, and we have been looking into programs to help pay for his health care since his savings are not that great since he retired 21 years ago."
"The agency that hired you for us, is not on the approved list..."
I bit my lip.
"So...we were wondering if you would sign on one of these companies that are approved, so we can keep you," she asked.
That's when I realized that Telly and his family were just as worried about losing me, as I was worried about losing my job.
"I can give you some more hours if you would like, and we would all really like you to stay," she added, "Dad loves it when you come here and you have been so great for him, he was hoping we could work out a way that he could be able to retain you." That's when I found out that Telly almost tossed out the social worker when she said that keeping me might be difficult the week before.
"Thank you for the compassion you give to my Dad and to my family, and we really hope this can be worked out."
I took the paperwork from her, and accepted.
My friend Karl hears about my job once in a while and he tells me "I could never do what you do" or "why do you do what you do." This is why.
I am not in this field for the money, though getting paid is important so I can help take care of my own little family. No amount of money could make my job really glamourous, it's just not one of those type of jobs. I have met a few people in this line of work that are in it for the money, they normally lose the patience and don't last very long. This isn't a job for the mercenary type like alot of personal injury lawyers.
I like being able to help someone. I like making a difference in someones life. I like that people look forward to me coming to work and that I make people's entire day better.
That's why.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your little family is very happy for you!
-Bella and Sammy

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is wonderful that they want to keep you on like this.

I must admit, I read the first couple of paragraphs, and started to get worried. But I am so glad they are doing this, so you can stay.

Frodo :)

3:51 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

(Janus gives Bella a hug and Sammy a Beggin Strip)

Sorry Frodo, figured I would give it a little suspense, since that's what happened to me :), things are looking promising. Thanks for coming by.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters