Saturday, April 28, 2007

When work becomes fun

Last night I ended the work week with a good note.
Telly is a die-hard St. Louis Cardinals fan and I am a Chicago Cubs fan. ( baseball teams for any folks that might be reading from other lands..or maybe never watch baseball.)
Sometimes the week is frustrating, other times I love what I do. Last night it was frustrating right up until the game was ready to start. Then things got really relaxing as our teams took the field.
The day before that I was looking at the Cubs scheduale and saw that both our teams were playing which meant that it would be on television. So I called Telly's daughter (my boss) and asked if we could watch the game last night if I got him all ready early. She said that would be great, and I didn't mind staying later.
It was a special occasion after all.
The Chicago Cubs are always on television since I live near Chicago. The St. Louis Cardinals are not usually on television unless they are playing against Chicago or in the play offs. So this was a special occasion since they only are on Television about 12 times a year, so if I am there I try to let him watch his Cardinals game.
He doesn't have a lot of passions or hobbies, so I try to be flexible with the things I can be. I knew the game was going to be over closer to 10 instead of my 9:00 clock out, but it's baseball. How can we resist that!
It was really a no-lose situation. If the Cardinals won he would be in a good mood, and I would get to watch a game. If the Cubs won, I would be in a good mood and he still got to see a game which would make him happy.
It had a lot of ups and downs for us both last night, but my Cubs ended up winning. I put him into his bed, and he thanked me for staying so he could watch the game. He said he had a good time, and it would of been a great time if the Cardinals won. Still he enjoyed himself.
Go Cubs.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go cubbies!

11:57 AM  
Blogger a fractal cat said...

I have actually watched Baseball on tv. I was not instantly put off. I can see the attractions. It is a game of statistics and as we all know statistics are meaningless in any form other than sport.

As you know (I would refer m'learned friend to a post witten on cricket) my preference is for a different game. But, Hey - we all gotta follow something... or Someone.

Stay well.

afc

6:06 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Janus - That's cool that Telly got to see his game. :)

I miss seeing the phillies play the cubbies on those afternoon games when I used to get home from school. Man the wind and homers in that park were great! I haven't really be too into baseball since the strike in 93. I'm trying though.

Peace,

- Neo

8:13 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Anon- You got that right! Though I learned that the Cardinals lost a player in an accident over the weekend. My heart goes out to them.

Cat- I would love to see a cricket match, maybe they might put one on the BBC channel. I do admit though that I don't follow all the time. I mainly watch it when it is on and I am available for it. My dad used to watch the game any chance he could.

Neo- I know what you mean. Baseball is hard to follow at times because the players don't seem to be loyal to anyone except the highest bidder. You can't get attached to anyone, because they trade or move to another team. So all you can do is like a team itself. The Golden age is gone it seems.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters