Friday, September 07, 2007

Can't I just read a book anymore?

So I went for lunch at Rob's today and we had a good talk and read Mr Lewis.

After that I had a few hours before work so I decided I would go to the library and read some classical literature stuff. Milton's "Paradise Lost." It is not a bad read if you like really long and pious poems...it is creative but I wouldn't base my whole understanding of the history of the universe on it really. This is one of those books that I read in High school and I still don't really like it that much.
Some guy with his three kids came into the library and I couldn't get into the book even if I wanted to. Now I am not the meanest old geezer in the library but if you are going to take your kids into the library at least pretend to pay attention to them. This guy is checking his email while his kids are running around and screaming at each other and one of them even jumped up on the table I was reading on.
The law prohibits me from beating other people's children. The librarians just kept working business as usual.
What happened in the last twenty years? My parents weren't the toughest parents in the world with me and I could be a little loud (still can be,) but really if I did that stuff that those kids did back then- my mom would of dragged me out to the car and later that night my father would spank, yell, and ground the everlovin' crap out of me. Librarians also used to tell you to be quiet and you used to be terrified of the crusty old lady with the wierd hairy thing growing on her nose.
Well with their dad not doing anything and the librarians too busy pretending to be deaf I had enough. I gave the kid my most irritated forehead scrunch and bit my teeth together which I do when I am thinking but everyone assumes I am mad when I do that. Watched him back up and suddenly shut up and run to another section of the library.
I went upstairs then and looked around and saw all the kids books. I wish I grew up in a town like this when I was little because I would have loved to read all of the books. I also want to write a kids book someday (someday...sigh) so I always like to see what's popular. I hadn't even walked into the room when a librarian walked up to me and asked me if I needed help.
"Just looking around, thanks," I said with a smile.
"Adult fiction and reference are downstairs," she said not returning a smile and a tone I did not care for, "The elevator and stairs are back that way."
I realized that I am a 30 year old man with no children with him and that the librarian probably was concerned about that. Apparently I look dangerous or in need of help because she kept staring at me until I backed away from the best seller kids fiction display rack. I didn't say anything or do anything threatening but I was getting irritated with everyone in general in that library today.
So I went to Internet Cafe at the Yellow Box at the church building, where I could have a tea, write a blog to complain about the library, no children were running around while parents ignored the little beasts, and people don't follow me around expecting me to steal something or kidnap children.
Thank goodness for the Ground Level Cafe....iced tea fixes everything.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to enjoy the library very much, I always took out 10 or so books on all kinds of subjects and even borrowed music records and such.
We were constantly warned about noise and the librarian would surely have tossed us out if we were loud.

That said, parents can't do much about kids. For every one person like you who wishes they would discipline them, there are 10 who would report the guy if he even threatened to do so. The only choice is to stay home until they leave for college.

Glad you found a computer with which to blog. How's the move going?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

True you got a point there, most of the experts on raising children don't have children I believe...

Move is ok, official date of leaving house...Sunday

10:33 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Try writing a post in very limited time periods with a two-year-old n a 4 month-old battling for your attention almost the entire time. That's how I put-up all the past 2.5 mos. postings, until this week-

Very tough to concentrate, indeed. They didn't invent Ridalin for nothing...

Kids are a tough gig in all quiet places when you're no longer allowed to hit them or they turn you in to the authorities!

Screw the libririan, research in the kids books is needed to write it! Were you giving her scary looks too? I haven't read Harry Potter stuff yet, myself...
Don't let her kind get you down-

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems that kids today are allowed to do anything, and the parents don't bother.

When I was young, we had to behave ourselves and keep quiet, or the librarian would kick us out of the library, parents would smack and ground us etc.

But don't let that librarian get to you. If you wanna research books, then you go ahead and research books. Just give them your best 'forehead scrunch'. :)

And you changed your subtitle - lol. I like it!!!

Frodo :)

2:57 PM  
Blogger a fractal cat said...

I remember those scary librarians... Uttering a single sound would bring glares from those that browsed and those that were studiously studying.
Nowadays the local library has an Internet section and the kids gather around and are confined to the screens. This leaves the aisles free and allows one to wander up and down and gaze in awe at the plethora of written words.
I have a system in a library - I roam at random and grab a volume as I pass; It says much about a disorganised mind but it does provide many an absorbing hour...
I like libraries and one of these days I will build suitable shelving in the spare room to house the collection I have; thus making the finding of that old Bertam Russell or my copy of Wind in the Willows, easier to find.

Stay well.

Fractal

5:55 PM  
Blogger glenniah said...

Hi Janus
We have a brand new beaut Library just opened close to where I live. It is family friendly, has a place to sit and read (or write) and another space for sitting and drinking coffee with friends. Methinkx I shall use it often

7:12 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Oh Snag I am sorry to hear that one with the kids, they are distracting. I have a problem keeping up with nieces when they were little and was always happy to pass them off to their mom. Ridalin and Xanax, the Ridalin for them, the Xanax for me.

I think we all remember the librarians being tough when we were kids and miss the glory days when parents could actually discipline children without fear of going to prison. I mean I wish they would of let me be a monster more when I was a kid...but I am glad my parents were tough.

I will defy the librarian later, now that my mood is better. Keep reading out there Janusites.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Janus - Here's what I do when I'm in situations like that. I pretend that they just can't see me and what they think doesn't matter. Good luck!

Peace,

- Neo

2:59 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

I also do the speak in foreign languages and irritate the crap out of them tactic. Since I only really speak English I just make stuff up.

1:01 AM  
Anonymous free erotic vampire stories said...

Chapter 3The blue fabric stretched over his tight tush as hedid his twentieth push up. Stephanie sighed and got into Ziggys old Chevy whichshe was sure was as old as that cow Bessie.
incest children stories
free 3d xxx toon stories
teen beastiality stories
free lesbian sex stories pictures video
nifty sex incest stories
Chapter 3The blue fabric stretched over his tight tush as hedid his twentieth push up. Stephanie sighed and got into Ziggys old Chevy whichshe was sure was as old as that cow Bessie.

4:08 AM  
Anonymous bestiality gay stories said...

Especially withCathline and John hanging around Cairo for a week. Then get out of my sight, beforeI take your toy away from you.
true interracial stories
real beastiality stories
shemale sex stories
male fetish masturbation stories usa
free preteen girls real incest stories
Especially withCathline and John hanging around Cairo for a week. Then get out of my sight, beforeI take your toy away from you.

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters