Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Reality Check (Fighting addictions)

Well the 12 step program and the big idea can go through it better than I can but I will give you a little education on the addictions unit "Hooked." Actually you probably know all this stuff but I will remind you about it, since we all tend to forget this stuff. Usually on purpose.
Change is rough and habits can be terrible. I am sure you knew that already too.
Most of us if not all of us have some sort of addiction. Workaholics, Alcoholics, Chataholics, Videogame addicts (quit looking at me like that), Blogaholics, Caffeine addicts..etc. If this doesn't apply to you, sorry in advance, but if it does I hope this can help.
I know I have a couple.
Some addictions are socially acceptable in many cases like addiction to blogging, and some are a bit harder for people to understand and some are well concealed and cause silent anguish while others are so obvious that even the addict has a problem denying it.
The point is that addiction is a parasite, it takes away from you, while usually giving you a short term fulfillment. After that high is gone, you feel worse and more empty than before. Sometimes they are nice and subtle and you don't realize how deep you are into it until it is silently and sometimes loudly wrecking the world around you.
Karl didn't wake up one day with a hangover and boom he was an alcoholic. It started with a beer...and another beer. It snuck up behind him and he didn't realize what was going on until he was already on the floor and being pinned.
So what is holding you down, what is influencing you more than you ever thought it would and is killing you from the inside.
You may say "Janus I am fine, I don't got any bad habits...it's all under control, I can stop them whenever I want to."
Yeah so can I. Now let me tell you another one. The first thing you have to do is own up to your addiction. Closing your eyes and hiding under the mattress doesn't make the monsters go away, it just deludes you into thinking your safe. I am not calling anyone a liar, but everyone should check into their own heart. Frequent scans and defrags on the soul are good for you, even if you don't like to look at it. Admit the problems.
The next thing to do when you find your addiction is to own up to it with God. Don't worry he still will love you just the same, its not like he falls for the hiding under the mattress thing. This isn't to really let God know about it...(You spent all day watching TV...why Janus I am shocked, I was so busy running the universe I didn't even notice...) This is to clear the air and come clean with God and yourself. In other words this is for you.
Next is find a trusted friend that you can tell this too. I know what you are thinking...Janus you are completely insane. I can't tell anyone about this. If you want it to stop hiding in darkness you have to bring it out. I have done this before and let me tell you it was a tremendous relief to not bury it. You will find that other people are hiding things too and you are not alone and you will also find if you have that trusted person that they will still like you and love you despite your flaws.
You can hear the actual big idea message on this at CCC (See hooked part 1), and it might be a tremendous help. I hope this helps somebody though at least...
Don't hide anymore, the mattress is beginning to stink from the sweat.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

So that is what the smell is?

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admit it. I confess. I am addicted to blogging.

I agree that any addiction can be a chain in life. Freedom is what God is all about.

And He doesn't punish us when he finds out we're human, you got that right.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Neo cracks open a beer

Hmmmmm, no I don't want to stop. In fact I quite enjoy it. Help yourself in the fridge. It's the weekend!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

X-ray, No I think thats the dog.


Andrea you did the hard part, I am still in denial about the sugar :P. Freedom is good and mercy is great. I hear ya.

Neo, you got a point, you have to want to stop. When the pain of changing is less than the pain of staying the same. Just look up this post again if you want to quit. lol. I have a cold otherwise I would take you up on the offer of the beer. Please accept a raincheck.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Neo cracks open a beer, mhm

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters