Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Scary stuff to think about....

I missed the Halloween boat by about a month due to the other stuff going on, and now it is approaching Thanksgiving. So in true Janus fashion I am going to talk about something completely irrelevant today.
This list could be much longer but I am just going to give you a top 5 things that scares me list. We can't do 10, the writer's strike won't allow it.
1. For every bad tv show or movies out there, at least 10 other ideas were considered and rejected. I don't know if you have been watching a lot of TV, but that scares me to death. Knowing I am watching "The best"makes me really appreciate reading much more. This isn't just ABC and CBS either, people reject shows for Court TV, Bravo, and Animal Planet. Got goosebumps yet?

2. Those creepy geese. I look out my window or drive by a giant field and I just see tons of geese sitting around looking like they are planning something. What if they don't go south, what if they decide to invade instead? You can't even shoot them because of the law against harming migrating birds...that means we are defenseless!

3. We still have people that think reality TV and professional wrestling is real. This week on Hulk Simmons, the Hulkster's son says funny things about his dad and his daughter wants to date someone and hilarity ensues as Hulk and his entire camera crew dress up as giant gorillas and spies on them at their date at the zoo. Get this, Hulk gets caught! I can't believe I just said "Hilarity ensues", blame Bramlett for that.

4. People still watch home videos shows and laugh at spitting up babies and guys that get hit in the crotch with tools. Perhaps if they used the tools a few years ago we could have avoided some of the baby videos.

5. I am in the top 20% of the wealthiest people in the world. I am talking about my job here, not my wife and my combined income here. My job is just skirting minimum wage. Considering that some people in the world make less in a year than I do in an hour is just scary to me.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

TV is meerly the best for making networks bux...
That list is frightening alright!- better later than never-

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The geese are still plotting...
and hilarity ensues...
on the next "Return of the Janus"

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1.TV is simply the most convenient way to ensnare the masses and ensure they do not think. Thinking people are dangerous and might not run out to buy the useless products shown in the commercials. By any means possible, keep the public from thought.

2.I agree geese are odd, and I am not sure why they are still here or what it is they are finding in those abandoned fields. Perhaps the geese are the ones making the crop circles.

3.Professional wrestling isn't real?

4.Children love America's Funniest Home Videos. It gives you an insight into the true nature of children that they enjoy watching others nearly kill themselves doing stupid things. I have to turn away, my tender sensibilities don't allow me to watch that much violence.

5.This is what I tell the children when they are lamenting their lack of a new technological gadget that just "everyone else" already received for their last birthday. The mere fact that you live indoors, have indoor plumbing, food on the table and a warm place to sleep makes you richer than 2/3 of the world's population. An important lesson today. I guess this was a Thanksgiving post after all.

Rollo posted a Thanksgiving post too.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Skye said...

Happy Thanksgiving ! That is a great list, I tell time by the geese, hmm that is scary.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Snag, I remember reading that the inventor of the television wouldn't let his children watch television and that he was already lamenting how his invention was being used. I imagine Al Gore feels that way about the internet.

Anony- Previously on Return of the Janus....(Janus puts up 5 minutes of clips)

Rollo- 1. People that think don't shop as compulsively as people that don't think. It also affects the memory...the burger never looks as good as the burger in the commercial..but for some reason you still get hungry.

2. I think geese are behind Infomercials, which easily was number 6 or 7 on this list.

3. Sorry Rollo, it is two 300 lb guys in shorts jumping on a giant trampoline, if someone hits you with a chair usually you will be in the hospital.

4. Children and the elderly for some reason really like that show. then their is or was the aptly named "Jackass" which appealed to teens and young adults wanting to watch a guy try to kill himself in a funny fashion

5.So it was...:D Happy Thanksgiving

Skye, It is not so bad now that you know the inconvenient truth about geese...but don't trust an animal to tell you time that can't figure out that it is a bad idea to walk into a busy street.

11:43 AM  
Blogger a fractal cat said...

1) This is scary. You have made a good point here. It makes me wish I hadn't subscribed to the sattelite channels. (My excuse is I like to watch Sport)

2) Rollo may be on to something here - Crop Circles. But yes, geese are odd birds. However, they eat an awful lot and seem very greedy. They make good 'watchdogs' tho. Keep a goose and No one gets close without them sounding of.

3)I got worried here. You describe the scenes on the tv so well it leads me to believe you may have actually been watching it! ... Is this so? : sigh.

4) Having mentioned the possibility of you watching tv in

3) I have to confess to watching a recent episode of one of our shows recently. - Similar things, send in your 'hilarious' videos and win money.. - Some of them are genuine, but the vast majority seem contrived. Which leads on to ..
4) We went to visit a friend not so long ago and delighted though we were to see them again - The fact that we had to endure the TWO HOUR video of the wedding sort of dampened things.

5) I am in similar position here. I work for our National Health Service. Which in short terms means I am 'just' above minimum wage. Nevertheless I (we) manage to get by. You bring bring home the salient point that there are so many in the world that have ..nothing.
This IS as you say - scary. We do what we can in terms of giving to the (oh, so many) Charities. Beyond this what can we do? - Well, prayer is always a darned fine option.

Stay well Janus. Keep you and yours safe and well as best you can.

AFC

1:35 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

1) Sports channels are the gateway to more commericals

2. At least we will hear them coming

3. Err..I did watch it when I was a grade schooler. After I started seeing the extreme fakeness it made it intolerable to watch. I see that it is still on tv commericials, and if anything else it looks even more insanely stupid than before.

4. Home videos are hellish, a show of them is just plain cruel.

5. You should check out Global family rescue http://www.globalfamilyrescue.org/

For 30 dollars you can buy 2 chickens for example and help them feed themselves.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Janus - You mean wrestling isn't real? OMG!!!!!!!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Neo, we have wanted to tell you for a while but we were going to wait...but...sigh...Hulk Hogan really isn't allowed to hit anyone with a chair. That would get you arrested.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters