Monday, September 04, 2006

Janus Goes to Dinner, (aka Janus tries to come out of his shell)

I had a great day today. After going to church I was one of the folks invited to a dinner and got to meet up with some Newish friends (A.K.A. people I haven't been around for over 10 years.)
The company was great, the food was great, and besides the evil bee's flying around to make sure we never totally could lower our guard the day couldn't have gone more perfect.
I don't go to people's houses that often for dinner these days and it was nice getting to eat some BBQ chicken and sausages (and not having to cook also.)
It was neat because everyone had a lot of interesting stuff to talk about. I found out that one of us was a pilot, learned a little about knitting (and observed it being done really fast), heard about the Berlin Wall and even got to see a real piece of it, and discussed C.S. Lewis and learned about the new class at the church in Fall (and got a sneak peek at the class to know what I could expect.)
It was great, though I feel more dumb and inexperienced by the moment by being around this crowd. That's the problem with being around interesting people, you feel much less interesting after you learn more about them.
When I was asked what sort of things I did well or liked to do I said "Typing." After I said that I felt like I could put myself to sleep. My writing projects don't seem very exciting compared to what's going on around me. Though people brought me back into the conversation I was beginning to fight the desire to want to hide. It's really a paradox, if you are the leader of the pack at a place you can never grow because you are ahead of everyone, but if you are the little fish in the pond you start feeling boring and a little insignificant.
So I have been trying to think of things that I could feel unique and uncommon about.
Well I was an Eagle Scout, that is something to be happy about I guess. I am the favorite uncle of both of my siblings kids, is something that makes me smile. I value my friends and keep in touch with most of my friends for years on end. I can write a great corporate charter up in a couple hours despite learning how to do it from a few books and a class.
I guess I am proud that while I am not the brightest, fastest, or bravest I can continue to teach myself and learn new things from people. I kind of like hanging around people that have more education than me, I can learn more in a few hours than you could spending weeks reading up on the subject.
I could either let people frighten me off by feeling inferior, or I could improve myself by sticking around. I am going to stick with it, I might learn how to fly and use a advanced cell phone before this is all said and done.

Update Alert: New links and some touch ups will be soon, its 2:00 in the morning and I am too tired to play around tonight. See you all soon.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never read C.S. Lewis until my daughter had to do a book report and since they made a popular movie out of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe"
and since the department store had a volume containing all the Narnia books, I figured it was a great idea. I finished the last of the books not too long ago. I highly recommend reading them.

I think the only reason I can do anything is beause I had a brother 5 years older than me and he could do everything better and play every game better and I always played games with him. I even learned better crayon techniques from him. If you play tennis with someone you can easily beat, you don't have to get better, but play against a pro and you learn things.

That being said, you don't have to worry about being uncommon, or having interesting things to say - you are and you always do.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shouldn't feel inferior. You are Janus Torrell, and you are unique.

I agree with Ned, you are a really interesting person, with interesting things to say. And I really look forward to reading your blog everyday.

Glad you enjoyed the dinner though.

Frodo

3:48 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

C.S. Lewis is great, I love Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters. I have to get started on Narnia.

thanks Ned and Frodo for visiting and for the good words.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

You batted the bountiful bees too?

12:37 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

I think I've read everything C.S. Lewis wrote. Okay, now I don't feel so insignificant and boring in this company. :D

1:43 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Harry,
Bees are everywhere this year, my niece got stung 14 times the other day when she was playing outside. Forget humane treatment just waste em all.


Gone,
I am just scratchin the surface, I hope his fiction is as good to me as his nonfiction

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters