Monday, September 18, 2006

Losing my religion (Finding my faith)

One of the most common things that happens to me is that when people think I am talking about faith is I get the "I have no use for religon" answer. Usually my reply is good, neither do I. Which has made people wonder what I have been drinking.
I don't like the dictionary definition of faith and religion. I looked them up just so I wouldn't have to put a foot in my mouth later. So I am going to define what I mean when I say "faith" and "Religion" so that we are all on the same page. (This one.)
Religion to me is very different from faith. Religion is about looking pious in front of other people, it's about looking good on the outside but doing nothing about the inside, it's about rule following and saying "I am basically a good person, and God is lucky to have me because I am such a great guy."
Now I used to be a very religious man not too long ago. I look back at myself now and then and cringe. I would go to church on Sunday, and pray the right prayers, wear the right clothes, say the right catchphrases. Go home, and not do a single thing different or change my ways at all and then get ready to come back for an hour of faith next week.
Sadly, I am not the only person that did that or might still do that.
I have been reading alot out of the book of Sam. (both 1 and 2) lately. One of the things that stood out to me was when Samuel was visiting Jesse and his sons he was there to annoint (or swear in...in a modern sense) a new king to replace Saul who was not doing a great job at it.
Jesse brings his sons in for Samuel to see, and one of Jesse's sons walks in and is handsome and very regal looking. Sam says, this must be the one, and pretty much gets ready to bust out that annointing oil he packed.
God says to Sam, "That ain't him," (Sorry I am paraphrasing this story.) "Man looks at the outside appearances, but the Lord judges a man by his heart." So Sam kept waiting and waiting, and eventually Jesse said that his youngest son Dave wasn't there because he was tending the family business. (That is sheep herding.)
So Sam says to Jesse "Go bring Dave here, so I can get this party started." David was brought home, and before he knows it he is annointed king in the presence of his family. (I wish someone would make me a king in front of my brother.)
So what is faith to me? Faith is following God with my heart and not just my outward appearance. In the Janus Torrell Edition Dictionary my faith is not defined as "blind and baseless belief." I study and verify what I believe, and I see the power of the God that is the basis of faith with changes and miracles with things around me. I don't believe because something someone told me "sounds pretty good," I believe because I am seeking God with my heart and he is meeting me there.
Is it easier to have faith than a religion? Sometimes. I don't have to worry myself sick and wonder if I am good enough for God to accept me and let me be with him. He already promised I will be, and proved it about 2000 years ago. He is not sitting up there and keeping a tally for the rotten things I do and the good things I do and basing my faith on merit. Which is a good thing because I don't know anyone that could do well on the merit system in that regard.
Faith can be harder too, because your heart can be very demanding. You are not just getting by on loopholes with real faith, you are doing what you can to seek God with your heart. Loopholes make it easier for you to be selfish and pious without having to deal with your heart. They call it a narrow gate for a reason, it is the road less travelled and harder to follow.
Changes are hard to do. Trust me I know. Things aren't all bad though, because you don't have to walk the harder narrow path alone, Jesus is with you and leads you, just like he promises he would. So if anyone out there hasn't lost the stinky old broken religion and found faith and met God on the way, I hope you really do.
Nothing is worse than climbing a really tall ladder, only to find out you have been climbing up the side of the wrong building.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Ah yes, I think I had that in my first draft, I lost alot of my original text. Good thing too, otherwise it would be much too long.

Thanks for visiting Lorinda and Harry

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, really great way of putting it. So often people are religious without faith. I prefer faith without being religious. God is good. Glad to hear we are on the narrow path but never alone.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lovely story about Dave being made the king. They don't go for the regal-looking guy, they go for what's inside.

You have a brilliant way of telling things, Janus.

Frodo
:)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Say, wadaminnit! I saw that movie with Richard Gere...

4:41 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Thanks Shell and Frodo.

Harry I have never seen the Richard Gere version, is it worth a rent?

7:29 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

The man CAN dance (coming into the city), so yeah.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

All good stuff, Janus. :)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

thank ya Gone

3:07 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Thought you'd like to know my lil sis read this (at my suggestion). It made a good impresssion on her jaded self, too, so thanks.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters