Monday, September 18, 2006

The old gang rides again!

I am far from where I grew up, and one of the things I regret about where I am is that I am not able to help take care of and visit the guys from back home. I was a brother and a father long before my time, due to the lot of us and how we were drawn together as kids.
Some of us came from broken homes, terrible situations with abusive parents, some of us were aliens in a foreign land, and some of us were all of the above. I was a lucky one, and I realize that more and more all the time. I had great parents that made sure I stuck with school, that I stayed out of trouble (for the most part), and took in many of my friends when their home lifes were not so good at times.
My father was a good man, and a very patient one. I don't know too many dads out there that would let his kid have company over 6-7 days a week sometimes. It irritated him, it tested his patience, and he was tempted to throw my friend out a few times. He knew though that his father was drinking, and he knew how hard things were for him at home. So he bit his lip and adopted another son.
When my friend started getting into criminal gangs, it was my dad and I that got him out of it. My family loving him was what kept him reigned in and if not on the straight and narrow during those dangerous years when a boy is between a child and a man. He made sure that he ate his vegetables, made sure he went to school, and made sure that somebody loved him like a son.
Now almost all of us are married and have kids, and we still are good friends. We can talk about life, faith, lady trouble, and our dreams to each other over the phone to this day. Distance and years will make things difficult at times, but will not break up our family. Some of the spouses may be a little nervous and jealous because of our openness and willing to stand by each other at all costs, but most of our significant others respect and admire the bonds of our friendship.
We have been together for over 15 years now, and we are still strong. We lift each other up and we confide in each other. Recently I have started working to get us together to meet online in a yahoo group. I want to introduce a few old friends to some of my new ones. Together we are bring the old gang back together, no distance or scheduale will be able to wedge us apart.
As time goes on some things will never stop being important to you if you hold to them. Find your relationship with God for it will last forever, and keep your old friends and don't be afraid to make new ones. Friendship is a great bond that no time, distance, and busy lifestyles should ever divide.
Is their someone that you have not talked to lately that you miss? Don't wait for them to make the next move, for they may be doing the same. Pick up that phone and call that old friend. Some things are too precious to just be abandoned. Include them into your life, because when it comes down to it. Jobs are lost, money is spent, all things wither away, but your relationships...they are worth an eternity.

(note to clockwatchers :Yeah this post was made 45 minutes before the new day came...deal with it, I have to make dinner and go to bed)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really lovely Janus. You still have those old bonds, even after all these years.

You friend is very lucky to have you and your dad to take care of him, and make sure he was okay.

I hope you can all get together on Yahoo very soon.

Frodo

7:58 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

How I can relate with your dad. We've had plenty of strange and weird friends of our boys hanging out here at the cave thru the years, most of whom only looked ominous or threatening. We enjoyed almost every wild minute of it, too.
Here's to old friends.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

thank ya all for comin!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

A great testimony to your father, Janus. And good to see you still have contact with old friends. Me, I've moved so far and so often that I have none left from way back when.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

I have to force myself to write, I am bad at keeping up too, but I try to make an effort.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters