Monday, October 09, 2006

Interview was wonderful

Well I will be out of the house a bit tomorrow but my interview went well today. Tomorrow I find out if I got hired, which means I could start working by next week if all goes spiffy.
Today I got to meet the potential patient and his daughter and I have one other person that could get the work instead of me. The interview went pretty good though, he is a gentleman of about 91 years, who needs someone to help him around due to his broken hip. He was very polite and told a few jokes, though he couldn't hear me well because of a hearing aid malfunction today. So I translated through his daughter who can shout better.
Interesting thing about him is that he is the youngest of three surviving relatives. His brother is 93 and his other brother is 96. He doesn't eat anything special, in fact he likes TV dinners. Next time someone tells me I need to eat healthier I will have them meet this guy.
The other caretaker and I exchanged some numbers since he said he would introduce me to other agencies and I found out we lived about 15 minutes apart and we could have coffee sometime. It was a friendly competing for our client, since he seems like a pretty nice fella himself and I wouldn't begrudge him getting it before me. He has 12 years of experience to my two and has had over a dozen patients to my two, but I speak more clearly (he has a strong accent) and am able to work days and nights so they would still have to hire another person even if he got the job. So the odds are pretty even, and I trust God's will to be done.
The patient seems like a real nice guy, he joked a little, and seems to love baseball. Even though he likes the St. Louis Cardinals and I like the Cubs...I hope we can overlook our differences if I get the job. Seeing his collection of St. Louis Cardinal things and his friendly talking, made me feel like I would be comfortable there.
Aparently the person that was there before me was Hot tempered, didn't let him watch his own television, and refused to do little things like clean up the tub for the poor guy. I often wonder what makes a person take a job like this if they don't want to take care of people and dote on their patients. If you are in this field because you want to be rich and make money you are in the wrong field.
I found I love to take care of the sick, elderly, and/or disabled. You can be the only good thing that they have happen to them all day or week even. You can give them dignity and have enjoy themselves even when they are in bad circumstances. Or as I told my friend Rob, it gives you a chance to be Jesus to someone. With the last patient and my good friend, despite mourning her death after a long term illness, I was able to find comfort through my sadness by having people come up to me at the service and tell me how much they appreciated what I did for her and how much she loved me and looked forward to seeing me. And folks...you just can't put a price tag on that.
Most people in this field are from Eastern Europe, and the agency was shocked to find out I was from America. Apparently not too many people from my part of the woods find joy and satisfaction in taking care of someone. When I left, my new friend asked me if I was really from America since he had never met an American like me before.
I was torn between being honored...and being troubled. I hope that I will show that values and patience has no borders.

Pray for me, I am antsy now.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad it went well. The man and his daughter sound really nice and friendly.

I am sending good luck thoughts to you Janus. I really hope you get it.

Frodo :)

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure they will like you, I hope you like them. You have my best wishes,

5:19 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

Sounds promising, from what you wrote. But with your attitude, you should go far in any of the service industries.

I did so for two decades, and only toward the end did I learn the real value of stopping work for a few moments and spend some time talking and listening.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

Good on you, Janus. You deserve the job.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Thanks everyone!

I hear you Harry, when you work in most jobs they tell you not to talk so much and to work really hard, but in companion/caregiving you got to balance work and play to give your patient fulfillments

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters