Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Walk On The Wilde Side

During my recent birthday (was wondering how I would put that in) at a quiet time I decided go to library and speed read a book. You may be interested in why I would be reading a book on my birthday. The truth is Rob had to work, and I had to go back to work so I couldn't do what most people do on birthdays, since I was going back to work in an hour and a half. Which rules out keggers (just kidding), relaxing dinners (since I would be checking my watch every few minutes), and going home to see my family (I would have to turn right around as soon as I got home and sat down.)
So yes, going to the library and reading a book made the most sense, since it was close to work and I could loiter there without bothering anyone or having the police tell me to move along.
I read "The Picture of Dorian Gray," by Oscar Wilde.
If you are unfamiliar with the story it is a sort of artistic thriller with all the classic elements of a Victorian novel. Adultery, Murders, Suicides, and lots of shallow witty conversation. Written around the same time as Sherlock Holmes and in those peaceful days around Jack the Ripper.
Without giving you spoilers it is about a handsome and wealthy man that when he sees his picture painted wonderfully offers his soul on a whim to remain young forever and have the painting grow old instead. (Since this is a thriller, it apparently took up his offer.)
Back when this book was first written, it was hated by most critics because it was an immoral novel. (Today most people hate it because it is more wordy than even my blog.)
The author in his second edition said "Books are not moral or immoral, the characters and ideas in the book may be, or the people that read it may be."
I think he was a bit irritated, but he does bring up a point in many cases. I guess people were worried that people would start selling their souls to the art gallery after reading this book. Those critics probably should of read the entire book or looked at the irony and sarcasm.
The point of the book is that living forever as a selfish jerk is fun at first but later takes it's toll on you. Read it sometime and see if Dorian really gets to enjoy his pact.
Anyway I could go on a little more, but work beckons. Have a good one.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Janus - Most great writer's are never understood. It's kinda like painter's who usually don't catch on till they're dead.

Happy belated birthday.

Have a great weekend.

Peace & Birthday punches, ;P

- Neo

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gruttzlefumf. Oh, you probably didn't understand that. ;)

Belated happy birthday wishes, Janus!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Thanks Neo and Gone.

Neo I agree

Gone, no I didn't understand that, I think you should at least email me the info.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I believe I had to read it in High-school Lit, or perhaps that was a condensed version- within a huge textbook.
I wish my paintings would be magical... but then some one would capture and torture my unicorns...

Our public Library isn't open when I have time to be there... darn!

Happy (belated) Day n a great Year ahead for you!

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters