Thursday, May 03, 2007

Waking up, Traffic Court, and God's Presence.

Well I will be honest I did not wake up feeling that great today. Normally I have to get up early on Thursday but today it wasn't for work. A few weeks back I got in the car accident on the way to work, and life has been crazy since. Today I was going to court as a witness for the state against one of the ladies I had an accident with. Some people call the court and get out of it, but I didn't. In fact not until early this morning when I thought it over did I even realize that I could of wormed my way out of it.
Getting up in the morning is always rough, but today I woke up right away with the first alarm. That little prayer the night before asking me to get "My Butt out of bed" probably helps. I say it at least two or three times a week when I got an early morning.
The drive was no big deal...15 minutes and you're there.
Parking on the other hand was a bit of a nightmare. It is one of those elevated parking garages that you drive in circles until you find a space. I then had to find the right building and the right room, but luck (or God rather) was on my side and I found everything and got into the room with 5 minutes to spare before the calling of the cases.
I was trying to figure out who the prosecutor was that I was supposed to check in with, and I couldn't find him/her/it. I wandered over to the desk and asked where I could check in. The police officer just said...just wait 'til your name is called, and went back to his important job of looking at everyone with a bored expression. Well my paper said that I had to check in before my case started, so I was pretty agitated. (I didn't want to get screamed at for being in the wrong place.)
I saw a lawyerly looking man that was wandering in and out of the court room. So I took a chance and asked him if he was the "District attorney."
He smiled and said, "Are you looking for the prosecutor?"
I almost turned red, I have been watching way to much Law and Order, and forgot that Sam Waterson is too busy convicting murderers and doesn't have much time to deal with parking tickets.
"Just get in line with the people in your case, and follow them up to the bench," he said, "They will take it from there."
I went up into the line and stood by Melissa, the reason why I was in court that morning. She looked terrified and had a "game face" smile.
"Hi Melissa." I said, calling her by her name for the first time. About a month ago when we were standing by the side of the road and filling out police reports we didn't talk much. Insurance companies tell you not to talk about the accident, so most people on the safe side don't really talk about anything. Everyone is in shock, no one has anything to say, and most people are afraid of legal issues so the less said the better.
I remember her face again after I saw her today. I remember the baby she had in the car that didn't cry but slept peacefully when we were standing at the road side while our cars were both towed away. I remembered that despite losing my car and having to make payments on another one...that we all walked away unhurt. I remembered how lucky we really were that early Thursday morning almost a month ago.
"It will be alright..." I said to her, without even realizing why I said it.
That nervous game face smile, turned into a real one. She realized that we were alright, and that we were both in this mess and we were both leaving it today. A month ago we couldn't talk really and were in shock, but today we were recovered and neither of us were facing the judge alone. We were both glad to be alive, and it was going to be ok.
We were called up to the bench a few moments later.
"How do you plea," the judge asked her after restating the name and charge.
She pleaded guilty, and the judge turned to me and asked if I was a witness.
"Yes" I said with a smile, why I was smiling I don't really know.
The judge looked up and then smiled back. He asked me if the insurance went through with no trouble. He thanked me for taking the time to come in. Then he told her that since it was her first offense and that I came forward to assure him that all was settled satisfactory that he would give her court supervision and to next time make sure it didn't happen again.
I prayed and prayed that the court date would be canceled so I wouldn't have to go in, but it didn't go away. I realized that morning that God didn't answer my prayer for a good reason.

He answered hers.
Looking back less than two hours ago, it took me longer to park my car than to be called up and give my testimony...looking back I am still glad I went.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very fortunate that no one was hurt.

I'm glad you got through the whole ordeal though, and it's all over now. You can both put it behind you.

Take care.

Frodo

4:22 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

The anticipation of a court appearance can be quite stressful!

I've been a witness several times, fought a wrongly received speeding tix, n this year had jury duty. My bro is a lawyer who's helped me out on a few occassions.

It's good you were able to amicably interact with the other party, n that you both realize the gift your lives are.
May that "I'm alive, thank God" feeling stay with you.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Frodo- putting the bad behind me can be a step every day. The important thing is just counting the blessings

Snag- Glad to know it is not just me. Everyone looks so calm and relaxed in Law and Order.
I hope to keep that I'm alive, thank God feeling.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters