Friday, May 25, 2007

Janus is a Bad Salesman

It is true, I really am a bad salesman. When I look for work and I try to find my true professional drive, usually someone says. "Why don't you try selling stuff, you could make good money doing that!?"
Because I am bad at it, that's why.
I did try it once or twice, back when I was a kid.
Ever hear of Sunny Sales or something like that? You found it in the kids magazines or comic books towards the back cover. You can make money and get prizes! BMX bike, phone, skateboards, basketball hoops, alarm clocks...you name it. Usually this ad was behind the ad that sold you itching powder, X ray glasses that didn't work, and hand buzzers that look better in an advertisement.
Man I am really dating myself with this one.
Anyway I will admit that I was 10, and a complete idiot, and thought that this would be a great way to get stuff. Someone didn't tell me that it was a total rip off, and my dad let me try it that way I would learn what a scam things were and never try it again. Thanks Dad...
So I called Jill the operator, I dialed the toll free number and asked for Jill. I thought of asking for Jenny or Judy, but I was afraid that I might be sent the wrong package.
The catch of course is that you had to sell lots of crap to earn prizes. So if I sold overpriced wrapping paper, tins of chocolate from a knock off brand that cost double the price of anything good, and knick knacks that only my grandmother would find stylish and I sold it to roughly half the town I grew up with, I would be able to get a hundred dollar bike or something.
Always a catch.
This was back in the day before people put up No-Solicitor signs and prevented companys like this from existing (I think they are long gone now, but not sure since I haven't read Boy's Life or Donald Duck comics in about 20 years.)
I did see one "No Solicitor" sign, and I didn't know what it was. So I asked people what it meant. One guy from England told me a Solicitor was a lawyer, My dad told me that a Solicitor was a Salesman, my brother told me that Soliciting was illegal and had something to do with ladys of the night, and I thought the Solicitor was like the Terminator and it was a half man-half machine thing from the future that killed people.
So having a sign that wards of Cyborgs, Prostitutes, Lawyers, and Salesman was a pretty good idea. Anyway...I am wandering off topic.
So I had a few people say no, two people slam the door in my face, and other people that thought that I was a brave 10 year old and bought the cheapest thing in my catalog. a tin of cookies or something. I ended up getting a dinky little prize that broke in two days...but that's another story all together.
One person asked me if I was selling this for school, and in recent years I have seen people selling stuff for school for prizes. Since it is for school people tend to buy a cheap tin of cookies.
Why do schools not have money for stuff, but everyone else does?
Can you imagine the Air force trying to sell this cheap crap so that they can buy a 20 million dollar aircraft? for only 200 million tins of cookies, they could pull it off.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger a fractal cat said...

I would have been about nine or ten when I had a brilliant idea.
It was a while after when I realised that the good people of my home town just did NOT want to part with money to see me dance on their doorstep. The lesson hit home.
It is the lessons learned from such innocent acts that seem to stay with us. Your Dad was right.
Keep well. Keep writing.

agc

6:43 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

I know Dad was right in retrospect, probably what makes it even more embarrassing looking back.

Kind of like looking back at this article and realizing that I didn't conclude it.

(Makes muttering about time constraints and trying to make it shorter)

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you sold me on you though.
-xoxo Bella

1:57 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Well everyone gets lucky once in a while my dear...:)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Janus - Two words: Sea Monkey's!

http://www.sea-monkey.com/

;)

Peace,

- Neo

6:04 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

My Mom used to force me to neighbors doorsteps to sell cookies...
so my pitch was: "You don't wanna buy any Girl Scout cookies, do you?" then turn to walk away,
n always they'd say, "Yes we do! Come back here!"

At least you gave it a good try!
(Note: my brine shrimp ah, "sea Monkeys" lived almost a month!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

I used to buy some girl scout cookies from everyone, after a while they spread the word out that I was a sucker, and one year I had half of a chest freezer full of thin mints and coconut carmels.

I never did the Sea Monkey thing though, that distinction went to my brother. I think they lasted a week. The ad made them look so cool...

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters