Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Back to the grind

Today I (like most of you) went back to work after a few days off for the holidays.
I call it "the grind" because that's what my dad used to call it when I was a kid, but I am really happy to be back.
Don't get me wrong seeing my family was nice, and I enjoyed Christmas more than I care to admit really. I just really love my job (well usually, it's not all fun...otherwise they wouldn't pay me to do it.)
Telly seems to relax a great deal more when his family leaves and I take over for the rest of the evening, he loves his family but he doesn't like being a child to his children. They take care of his every need and they fuss over making sure that he is taken care of in every way. While he knows they love him, he wishes they wouldn't treat him like he was going to explode at any minute.
The previous guy didn't like working with him for some reason I cannot grasp. Telly has never made me even have to raise my voice, other than when his hearing aid is not picking me up enough. Just a little patience and a gentle reminder is usually all I need to do.
I also do things with him.
When he eats dinner, I have a glass of tea with him and help him pace himself.
I also do the excersises with him that he does everyday. The other caregivers and his family normally watches TV and waits for the time to pass in the morning, I prefer to keep active. (It also keeps me awake...I am not a morning person.) My checklist says "Remind Telly to do his excercises" the first day that I went through the checklist I asked him what he did. So he showed me and read through the list with me.
I started doing them too, which made him smile. I noticed that now he asks me when we can do the excercises when I go to work, and now doesn't dread them. I also noticed that my arm doesn't get tired as much anymore.
For Christmas I got a card and a picture of Telly, also enclosed was a check for Christmas and a note.
"We are very happy you are helping us. We appreciate your for your dependability, efficientcy, and positive attitude. My father has told me how kind you are to him, we are glad you will be with us even more hours now and thank you."
I can't imagine any other kind of job right now, and to think I really wanted to get a job in a book store. I never thought I would look forward to work as much as I have since I started being a caregiver.
Everytime I leave he asks me "When are you coming back?"
I also want to xerox the "Dependable, Efficent, and Positive attitude" part and send it to my brother. You can't put a price tag on a job perk like that.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice that you enjoy your job so much. Knowing that you make a difference to someone's life is a great feeling. You are obviously a hit with the whole family.

Here's to "The Grind".

Frodo :)

4:21 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

To the grind!

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There aren't many people who can feel the same way about their job. I don't know much about your line of business but it sounds like you've gotten something really special going on.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

I also (as an xray tech) find that making things easy and fun for the patient is rewarding in and of itself. Yesterday a patient told me "anything for you sweetie, you make it easy to endure a little pain." Several people said yesterday how professional I was. I think it is because they know I am not patronizing them when I call them dear, I really mean it. Having the heart of Christ is awesome in times like this.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Janus - That's cool. It takes a special kind of person to do that type of work. Especially when you read all the horror stories in the news about people neglecting seniors and the like.

Hope you're Christmas went well.

Peace,

- Neo

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a great job, really love going to work every day, so I can understand what you are saying Janus. We are on holidays until the day after New Years Day so I am making the most of it.
Take care of you and God bless you
love glenni aka emma

6:10 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Thanks for the comments and visiting all of you, and yes I did have a good Christmas, though I always stress it out more than I should

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters