Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas Music Muesday

Today I went to work feeling pretty bad, not about the wedding, I just had a Janus moment. I have those alot this time of year.
Tonight instead of my riveting evening of taking Telly downstairs to watch Wheel of Fortune, we had a sing along with the Naperville Kiwanis. Where every once in a while they fill the place up with volunteers who sing with the Senior Citizens and it gets a real big turn out. (Even more popular than Bingo Tuesday evening.)
Last week I was asked by Telly's daughter if I would mind taking her dad to the sing along. I asked if it was a far drive, and she said...no it's downstairs.
I didn't know why she thought it would bother me, so I said "Not a problem, anything I need to know about?" Which is my way of asking. Why would this be a bad thing, do the Kiwanis occasionally beat people up that attend?
Well apparently the other caregivers didn't like it. My attitude is that I could watch C-Span if I am on the clock. Most things I wouldn't mind doing volunteer under normal circumstances, so getting paid to listen to people sing and make sure Telly didn't need any assistance was not a problem for me.
So tonight Telly sat in front of me in between two of his friends in his wheelchair and I sat in the row of chairs behind him so I was close by. Then I got surrounded by people as the room filled and sat next to a sweet lady named Gladys who was trying to figure out how anyone under the age of 50 snuck into this party.
The music was good, though occasionally the senior citizens got a little talkative. So I started having to raise my hand and give stern looks like I was a preschool teacher. I don't sing though, so I lip synch.
Tonight though something strange happened, I just listened to the words and when I let myself enjoy them and forgot myself I started singing. Well whispering in tune. I have heard these songs at least a few dozen times each by now, but for some reason tonight it moved me.
Normally I don't have the lyrics in front of me either, so tonight I read them and I finally saw the meaning of Christmas in Christmas music. None of this, Santa Claus stuff. I was reading the older Christmas hymns and I understood and enjoyed them
I also didn't have to worry about the people next to me hearing my singing, even with the hearing aids they normally can't hear me when I am trying to be heard.
So hopefully I was able to indulge without scarring people emotionally.
Since the singing though I have felt so much better today. Just don't expect me to do it again.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like my Janus is catching the Christmas spirit! Maybe we can finally put the tree up?
Bella

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the sing along Janus, and I am glad you are feeling better today.

Frodo :)

3:13 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Bella...let's not go too far :P


Thanks Frodo.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters