Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Years

Happy 2007 to all of you!
It will take me til about May before I stop writing 2006 on everything probably, but while I am concentrating on it happy 2007.
I had a wild New Years Party last night...well no I didn't. I had a fun night anyway though. I went over to my brother's house, even though he wasn't home. Spent the evening with my parents, my nieces and my nephew. Didn't drink anything but water, since I didn't want to drink and drive, and I was around children.
I got greeted at the door by three very excited children who yelled "Uncle Jay...Uncle Jay." So I still have the distinction of being the "fun uncle." My brother is the "Be quiet and just play over there uncle" and my brother-in-law Tony is the "I'm tired, go away" Uncle.
So when I called my mom and told her I was running a bit late because of phone calls and stuff, she said "Hurry up, the kids are antsy." It's nice to have people looking forward to seeing you.
We played an exciting game of Bingo, which the kids thought was great. I won such prestigious prizes like bubble bath, a coloring book, and some other dollar store specials. My nephew is five years old and doesn't know his numbers yet, so he keeps asking me if he has the number on his card.
"B-9."
"Do I have that Uncle Jay?"
"No."
"O-71."
"Do I have that one?"
"No."
Well Bingo really isn't that exciting, but the kids like it, and I do got a spiffy bag of little stuff.
They also made me Sushi. (That's licorice, gummy worms, and jelly lifesavers mixed together and tossed in a ziplock bag, I have no idea why they call it sushi, maybe because Lee my nephew has seen his dad eat Japanese food since he was a baby and just thought it looked like it.)
We then played a few games of Clue the board game, after I explained to everyone how to play. My mom helped Lee since he can't read but wanted to play too. The kids really enjoy playing an old boardgame when we get all of us involved, and Clue is a shorter and less cutthroat game than Monopoly. (Besides, if you think its awkward teaching kids how to play Clue, try explaining Mortgages to a five year old boy who's dad owns a mortgage company.)
My youngest niece apparently is a serial killer, since no matter what character she picked she ended up being the murderer in clue. Talk about unlucky. Got to love Clue, you can be a murderer and not even know it. That kind of sounds like the plot of a bad soap opera.
We all gathered around the television to welcome in the New Year, screamed Happy New Year and hugged each other. Then we tried to get them settled for bed, which just doesn't work when I am there. After Lee came down for a drink of water for the third time, and the kids kept trying to sneak out of bed, I decided to head home.
Good start of a good year.
I don't believe in doing resolutions, so I won't ask you what yours are. I do daily resolutions and try to keep things up.
This year I am hoping to be more of a good hubby, a better role model, a good uncle, and son. Also want to be a better friend and keep finances in control. Be a better man for God and my faith be a better person in general...not just nice, but a good guy.
Hope you have a great New Year, and talk to you later. Time for bed.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time. And the kids love their Uncle Janus.

Happy New Year.

Frodo :)

6:11 PM  
Blogger Ned said...

A much nicer way to ring in the New Year than amongst a crowd of loud strangers, being pushed and shoved.

It's bit of a stretch as a holiday anyway. Bet the kids were proud of themselves for staying up.

That's a great idea with the BINGO, to have prizes. I may try that on the kids.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Happy New Year to you too Frodo!

Ned, I agree...pushing, loud, and mostly drunk people just doesn't work for me anymore.
This was the first time Lee and Lauren got to stay up til after midnight, they were proud of themselves.
Prizes are great for kids, about 20 dollars at the dollar store can keep bingo playing children busy for a few hours.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Janus - Props, resolutions are overated. Sushi gummy's eh? LOL

Have a great New Year!

Peace,

- Neo

12:14 AM  
Blogger Janus Torrell said...

Yeah Neo, Resolutions are kind of an excercise in futility for me usually.

Gummy Sushi is pretty good, thought it might be spelled Gummi Sushi or something

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters